Thursday, May 13, 2010

Too Busy to be better bullshit

This is 417 words, will take you less than 2 minutes to read and is about being too busy to improve your life.


Too Busy to be better bullshit


What stops you improving your life, increasing your happiness, creating more loving relationships, advancing your career or education, maintaining optimum health and fitness, carefully crafting abundance and wealth?


Most people tell me they’re too busy! To be blunt, that’s bullshit.


Busyness is a choice. A very popular choice too! It’s almost a national epidemic.


A long time ago I became aware that when I was asked “How are you?” I said without thinking, apologetically and always “I’m Busy!”


I decided to change that. I’m busy by choice, so no more apologising. I like being busy, to me it equates with a full life lived richly! But I didn’t like being stressed so I decided to focus on the things that were important to me. I’m still busy but a lot more fulfilled and a lot less stressed... This took me a few years to work out and a lot of courage to carry out. But really anyone can do it and it doesn’t need a few years to work it out.


Busyness is often a symptom. It’s a story you tell yourself to avoid having a real conversation about what is really meaningful in your life. It’s an excuse to delay some overdue soul-searching. Busyness often is a euphemism for chaos, clutter in our life that overwhelms us. You probably are busy, but busy with WHAT?


Here’s a checklist to try if you have the busyness bug.


  1. Is all this busyness getting me to where I want to go? Do I Know where I am going? Do you have a life purpose?
  2. Do I like and know what I’m doing, or am I on auto pilot? 
  3. Do I have a system that helps me get clarity about what I do and don’t do! 
  4. Have I got my goals written down?  
  5. Do I review them regularly, to keep me on track? 
  6. Do I have a good reminder system, to keep me on track?
  7. What do I need to change? What is wasting my time?
The first and last questions are really important and I could write many words on just this! Another day perhaps! After all.... I don’t want to waste your time, you’re so busy! Let me just say, you can use 4me2realize to beat the busyness bug by getting focused on what’s really important in your life.

So now when people ask me “How are you?” I say “Great thanks, busy doing the things I love, how are you?” And then they say..... “Busy!”






No comments: